Many, many thanks to CaveGirlMBA for nominating The Management Maven for a Liebster Award.
If you’re unfamiliar with the Liebster, as I was, here’s how it works:
- You must link back the person who nominated you.
- You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to you by the nominee before you.
- You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated for the award with under 200 followers.
- You must come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
- You must go to their blogs to notify your nominees.
Interesting, right? So here are my responses to CaveGirlMBA‘s questions.
1. What was your dream job when you were a kid?
I wanted to be a paleoanthropologist, searching for hominid fossils in Africa.
2. What does it say on your business card now? How far is that from your dream job?
Toddler Wrangler. About 9,000 miles but I’m okay with that.
3. How would you explain interest rates to a four-year old?
“The interest rate…stop jumping…is the amount someone pays…yes, I see your toe…for the use of money…no, you can’t have a juice box…that they borrow…sigh. I need a cocktail.”
4. Would you rather choose ten weeks of holiday or a ten-percent increase in net salary?
Hmmm, an increase in salary would last longer, but money isn’t everything. So, let’s go with holiday.
5. Is there any company you really admire, but whose products you still do not buy?
Lots of them, actually. I currently live in a ridiculously small town so shopping is kind of a chore.
And is there any company you really detest, but whose products you still buy?
Detest is a strong word, but I do feel a twinge of guilt when I buy from Amazon. I’m sure I feel an independent bookseller dying a bit more with each click. But in my defense, my options are limited. (See above.)
6. How would you define the limit between corporate gifts and bribery? Is it monetary value only?
That’s a tough one. The difference lies in whether the gift creates a direct obligation. But it’s such a gray area, I think it’s safer to just avoid gifting altogether.
7. Suit & tie or business casual? Or bikini? Or…?
Whatever doesn’t have to be ironed.
8. What was the coolest thing you ever bought? Why?
An air conditioner. Ba-bum-bum. I’m here all week, folks.
9. What was the most expensive thing you ever bought? How long did it take until you got used to having it?
A house. I got used to it pretty quickly but I’ve never stopped being grateful that we have it.
10. Please complete the following sentence:
Money is…, and success is ….
Money is helpful, and success is subjective.
And here are my questions:
1. What are you reading about this week?
2. Thinking about?
3. Writing about?
4. What was your best job?
5. Worst job?
6. How would you describe your best manager?
7. Worst manager?
8. What is the best thing about performance reviews?
9. Worst thing about performance reviews?
10. What’s your most valuable productivity tool or tip?
Nominees to come…